Event: Road safety is particularly important this time of year when heavy rains can cause flooding and damage roads and bridges. Road and bridge repairs may, in some cases, be temporary and could pose safety hazards to travelers. This notice serves as a reminder to all U.S. Citizens about the importance of exercising caution and maintaining awareness of road conditions while traveling in Zambia.
Actions to Take:
- Use caution when driving over bridges. Do not proceed if unsure about the safety of a bridge or roadway.
- Do not rush. Speeding can result in accidents and/or serious injuries.
- Exercise caution if you encounter large puddles or roads that are submerged under water. Vehicles can become stuck or be swept away by strong currents.
- Pay attention to the condition of highway/road shoulders. Heavy rains can cause shoulders to become unstable and unable to support the weight of a vehicle.
- Always travel with a road safety kit, medical equipment, means of communication, and cash for an emergency.
U.S. Embassy Lusaka
State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Zambia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.