Green Card – Lost or stolen

Green Cards (Lost or Stolen)

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) who has been in Zambia for less than one year and your Green Card is lost, stolen or has expired, you will need to apply for a boarding foil to return to the U.S.

In order to apply for a boarding foil at the U.S. Embassy, please schedule an appointment. On the day of your appointment please bring in the following documentation:  a completed Form I-90 (available at, a photocopy of your passport, a police report regarding the loss of the green card, evidence of your last departure from the U.S. (for example airline e-ticket or boarding pass) and a recent passport-sized photograph. There is no fee for a boarding foil.

The consular officer can only consider issuing a boarding foil upon verification of your LPR status by USCIS. Once permission is granted by USCIS, we will schedule you to come to the consular section to receive the foil. If your application for a boarding foil is approved and you fail to travel within the 30 day window, you will have to follow the same process to obtain a new boarding foil.

Additional information about Permanent Resident Cards can be found on the USCIS website.