Lusaka. June 4, 2014.
The United States welcomes 12 dynamic Zambians and Zimbabweans as part of the Business and Entrepreneurship Exchange Program. This innovative leadership development program, funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, brings emerging business leaders from Zambia and Zimbabwe to the United States for a four-week program working with American businesses and community-based organizations. The visiting participants’ professional placements are supplemented with skills-based workshops, community site visits, and attendance at a culminating conference in Washington, D.C.
Meridian International Center implements this U.S. government exchange program in local partnership with the Young African Leaders Initiative for Africa (YALI Zambia). The exchange program supports international cooperation and builds networks of people and organizations working on critical issues worldwide.
These diverse and dynamic participants from different provinces of Zambia and Zimbabwe were selected from a competitive pool with over 300 applications received from interested entrepreneurs. Their placements are in the states of North Carolina and Colorado. In addition, eight American participants will be selected to participate in a two-week reciprocal program to Zambia and Zimbabwe in early 2015. The U.S. Embassy and YALI Zambia wish all the participants great success!
Recruitment for the next cohort of the Business and Entrepreneurship Exchange Program begins this month. Please visit www.meridian.org or www.yaliafrica.org for information on the application process.
Zambian Participants in the U.S. Government’s Business and Entrepreneurship Exchange Program, May-June 2014
- Mr. Kakoma Mutenda, Biofuels – Quantum Oils and Bio Energy Ltd
- Mr. Martin Phiri, Manufacturing – Masophi Enterprises Limited in Nakonde
- Ms. Virginia Chitengu Rice, Marketing/Telecom – MTN Zambia
- Mr. Kayula Mulenga, Agribusiness – Luapula Farming and Transport Logistics Ltd
- Ms. Vwanganji Bowa, Agribusiness – Vwanganji Enterprises Ltd
- Ms. Mbozi Tatila, Accounting – High Definition General Dealers
Zimbabwean Participants in the U.S. Government’s Business and Entrepreneurship Exchange Program, May-June 2014
- Mr. Tafadza Makura, E-books, licensing, mobile technology – The Open Book Project Ltd
- Mr. Tawanda Chikosi, Tech for Process Improvement – Chikosi Technology Corporation
- Ms. Moreblessing Sigauke, Travel and Tourism – Sanning Travel
- Mr. Gerald Mangena, Agribusiness – Great Mountains
- Ms. Nonto Masuku, Public Relations/Brand Management – Aurafactor
- Mr. Rinesh Desai, IT – Computer Troubleshooters Zimbabwe