Following these step-by-step instructions to obtain a passport for your child (under age 16 now or were under age 16 when previous passport was issued).

  1. Set up an appointment with the Embassy on-line.
  1. Complete the DS-11 passport application form using our on-line passport wizard (or get the form directly) (PDF) and bring it to your appointment. Do NOT sign the application form. You will sign it at the Embassy in front of a consular officer.
  1. If you are getting a full validity passport to replace an emergency (limited validity) passport that was issued in the past year and is still in your possession, the Passport Wizard in the above link will help you complete form DS-5504.
  • Your child: Each minor child applying for a passport must appear before a consular officer.
  • Child’s previous U.S. Passport (if this is a renewal of passport), or evidence of U.S. citizenship (for a first time passport): The Embassy will not keep the passport during the renewal process and the child may continue to travel on the old passport while the new passport is being processed.
  • One recent 2″ x 2″ photo (5 x 5 cm): The photo of the child must  be against a white background. See our U.S. photo guidelines.
  • Money for the appropriate fee (PDF): Fee is payable by cash (U.S. dollar, or Kwacha equivalent, but no mixing of currencies) or credit card. If you are getting a full validity passport to replace an emergency (limited validity) passport that was issued in the past year and is still in your possession, there is no charge.
  • Parental Identification: Each parent or guardian must submit only one of the following:
    o Valid U.S. or foreign passport or alien resident card with recognizable photo.
    o Valid driver’s license, U.S. military identification, or U.S. government identification with recognizable photo.
    o Naturalization/Citizenship certificate from USCIS with recognizable photo.
  • Evidence of Relationship to Parents/Guardians: Documents demonstrating a child’s relationship to parents or guardians, include:
    o Certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate
    o Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)
    o Adoption decree or court order establishing custody or guardianship (original or certified copy). If the parents’ names are other than that on documents, evidence of legal name change is required. Please note: Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s) or guardian(s). You must bring the above listed documents even if it is a second or third passport for your minor child.

In most cases, both parents must appear and sign the passport application form before a consular officer. In the event that one parent cannot appear, a notarized statement of consent (Form DS-3053) (PDF) must be signed and submitted with the passport application.

If one parent has sole authority for the child then one of the following documents must be submitted as primary evidence:

  • Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) listing only applying parent;
  • Court order granting sole custody to applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by order);
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adoptive parent);
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child;
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent;
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

A third-party in loco parentis may not apply on behalf of a child under 16 except in exigent circumstances.

  • The passport will be printed in the United States and mailed to the Embassy. Allow up to 10 working days.  You can check the status of your passport online.
  • You will receive an email when the passport arrives at the Embassy and you can pick it up without an appointment during regular work hours (Monday-Thursday 0800-1700, or Friday 0800-noon) except during official holidays; if you are coming from out of town, please email us at ACSLusaka@state.gov as on rare occasions staff may be temporarily absent due to outside meetings).
  • If the child’s prior passport is still valid we will need to physically cancel the passport before handing you the new passport. Even after we cancel the passport, you may be able to still use the visas in that passport.
  • It is possible for someone else, including a courier such as FedEx or DHL, to pick up your new passport on your behalf. The person picking up the passport would simply need to bring something from you in writing authorizing him/her to pick up the passport. Please note, however, that if that person will not be bringing your old passport for cancellation, we will need to cancel your old passport at the time of your initial application.