Apply for a Passport

The U.S. Embassy in Lusaka provides services to American citizens needing a new passport or passport card, or visa pages added to an existing passport.

Applying for a passport overseas is different from applying in the United States. For a specific passport service at the U.S. Embassy in Zambia, click on one of the links below. Additionally, see our Embassy’s Tips for a Smooth Consular Visit.

For further information you may also refer to the U.S. Department of State’s passport webpage. However, please remember that procedures for passport services abroad are different from those when applying in the United States.

Steps for Applying for a Passport (Adult or minor, age 16 and over)

Set up an appointment with the Embassy on-line.

Complete the DS-82 passport application form using our on-line passport wizard or get the form directly (PDF). Bring the printed form to your appointment.

Note: If you complete the form using the passport wizard, your service at the embassy will be faster as the barcode on the printed application form allows us to input your information more quickly into our system.

If you are getting a full validity passport to replace an emergency (limited validity) passport that was issued in the past year and is still in your possession, the passport wizard in the above link will help you complete form DS-5504.

In addition to the application form, bring:
Your current passport.
You may continue to travel on your old passport while your new passport is being processed. If your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, please submit additional ID, e.g. foreign passport, or a government issued ID Card. If you have never had a U.S. passport, provide proof of your U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

One 2″ x 2″ photo (5 x 5 cm.) of yourself against a white background). See our U.S. photo guidelines.

Money for the appropriate fee, payable by cash (U.S. dollar, or kwacha equivalent, but no mixing of currencies) or credit card. If you are getting a full validity passport to replace an emergency (limited validity) passport that was issued in the past year and is still in your possession, there is no charge. If you are traveling within 15 working days and can provide evidence of this travel, you may be eligible for an emergency limited-validity passport. Please see our section on Emergency Passport (for imminent departure).

  • The passport will be printed in the United States and mailed to the Embassy. Allow up to 10 working days. You can check the status of your passport on-line.
  • You will receive an email when the passport arrives at the Embassy with instruction to book a passport appointment online in order to collect it. If you are planning on sending someone to pick up the passport on your behalf, please give that individual a signed note authorizing them to pick up your passport, and make sure that he/she brings photo ID. Parents can pick up their minor children’s passport without any difficulty. Please bring the old passport for cancellation. Please visit our website to see which dates the U.S. Embassy is closed for holidays:  In an emergency please email us at as on rare occasions staff may be temporarily absent due to outside meetings).
  • It is possible for someone else, including a courier such as FedEx or DHL, to pick up your new passport on your behalf. The person picking up the passport will need an appointment, a note authorizing him/her to pick up the passport and the old Passport.