Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Lusaka, Zambia: Potential for Increased Crime During Holiday Season (December 13, 2022)
Location: Zambia, countrywide
Event: During the holiday season there is the potential for increased crime in Zambia.
Criminal activity often occurs in crowded public locations such as holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, schools, and other areas frequented by tourists. Public events, such as demonstrations, holiday events, and celebratory gatherings are also at a higher risk.
Holiday Safety Tips:
- Exercise vigilance at events with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Ensure that residential doors and windows are locked.
- Do not leave valuables out in the yard of your residence.
- Do not leave bags, purses, or valuable items in your vehicle.
- When driving lock doors and roll up windows.
- Refrain from wearing flashy jewelry.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially around ATMs.
- Monitor local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy Lusaka
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Zambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates