March 6, 2020
Location: Northwestern Province and Chingola
Event: The U.S. Embassy’s Regional Security Office has confirmed a decrease in reported occurrences of civil unrest related to suspected gassings and ritualistic killings. Additionally, vigilante violence and rioting have subsided significantly in most of the provinces in Zambia.
In response to the improving security conditions, the U.S. Embassy has rescinded its travel restrictions on U.S. government personnel traveling to Northwestern Province and Chingola. Personnel are advised to continue to exercise caution while traveling in surrounding provinces, as the security situation can change unexpectedly.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the unrest, demonstrations, or riots.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Lusaka
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Zambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook