- PEPFAR in Zambia
- PEPFAR Small Grants Program
The U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce a new round of funding for the United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) Small Grants Program.
Background: The PEPFAR Small Grants Program is highly competitive and supports projects related to HIV prevention, the care of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), and the promotion of democracy and governance in Zambia’s HIV response systems. HIV prevention small grants assist projects mitigating the spread of HIV. OVC small grants assist with innovative projects that provide care and support to OVC and their households to improve OVC’s standard of living through financially sustainable, community-led projects. The democracy and governance grants seek to improve accessibility, transparency, and effectiveness in Zambia’s HIV response at the community level.
Who is Eligible to Apply? Community and faith-based organizations, neighborhood groups, and institutions of learning are encouraged to apply.
What are the objectives of the Program?
HIV Prevention Small Grants
- Address stigma and discrimination, especially among key populations
- Promote positive behavior change and practices in individuals to prevent the spread of HIV
- Build capacity and empower communities to sustainably reduce the spread of HIV
- Support income-generating to sustain HIV prevention activities at the community level
OVC Small Grants
- Strengthen caregivers’ knowledge and skills to better provide for their children’s basic needs
- Ensure OVCs’ continued access to food, shelter, education, and psychosocial, medical, and legal services
- Develop sustainable economic support for households of OVCs
Democracy and Governance related to Zambia’s HIV response
- Educate community members about their rights around HIV-related health services and how to ensure their rights are upheld
- Promote and ensure organizations’ (that provide HIV/health services) transparency and accountability to those who benefit from programs
- Collaborate with other community/civil society groups with common themes and interests to improve HIV-related health services
Category 1: Up to ZMW 100,000 maximum may be requested for one year projects
Category 2: Up to ZMW 250,000 maximum maybe requested by community and faith-based organizations with capacity to implement project activities on a large scale. Applicants must provide recommendations from previous funding agencies indicating successful implementation of projects.
Project Duration: October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2020.
All applications must be submitted using the 2019 – PEPFAR Small Grants Application Form (Microsoft Excel 286 KB). The frm is in Microsoft Excel format and must be completed electronically.
1) Applicants must save the electronic Excel application file in order to fill it out. No other application formats will be accepted by PEPFAR.
The completed application form file may be submitted 1) via email as an attachment or 2) by mail (a hard copy may be sent to the U.S. Embassy address listed below).
No other format will be accepted. Handwritten applications will not be reviewed.
2) The Excel application must be accompanied by the SF-424: Application for Federal Assistance and the SF424A: Budget Information for Non-Construction Programs.
3) The 2019 Open Season is from January 1, 2019 through February 28, 2019.
The deadline for submission of applications is February 28, 2019.
Mailed application packages sent by February 28, 2019 but received after the deadline will be accepted if bearing a post office mailing date stamp or courier pick up date no later than February 28, 2019. Application packages stamped or dated later than February 28, 2019 will not be reviewed.
Emailed application packages will be accepted with a sent time no later than 23:59 hours, February 28, 2019. Application packages with a sent date beyond February 28, 2019 will not be reviewed.
4) A complete application package must include the 2019 – PEPFAR Small Grants Application Form Excel file together with all required supporting documents listed in the application form including:
- Copy of your organization’s Certificate of Registration with the Government of the Republic of Zambia
- Recent bank statement
- Two letters of recommendation from: Donors, the Provincial and/or District AIDS Coordination Advisors, Partner Organizations, and/or other District/City/Municipal offices who know your organization’s work
- Self-recommendations/recommendation from your own organization are not acceptable
- Recent recommendations (1 year or less) are often stronger than older recommendations
- Map (with clear land marks for easy location) showing the physical location of the project and organization’s office (start from nearest large town and indicate distance in kilometer from main road to the site)
- Qualification of key staff and/or volunteers who will be actively involved in the project
- Three Pro-forma invoices for each major budget item (ZMW5,000+)
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the PEPFAR Small Grants review team.
5) Send completed application and all required supporting documents to:
PEPFAR Small Grants Program
P. O. Box 320065
Lusaka, Zambia 10101
Or via email;
How to obtain the 2019 – PEPFAR Small Grants Application Form:
Send an email request to: LusakaSmallGrants@state.gov
You must place the words “2019 Application Form Request” in the subject line of your email request.
You will be sent the 2019 PEPFAR Small Grants Application Form as an excel file via email.
You must save the Excel file form to your computer.
For assistance, the National AIDS Council at Tel. (+26) 0-211-255044/92 may provide contact information for your District AIDS Coordination Advisor or the Provincial AIDS Coordination Advisor (PACA).
For additional assistance, contact the Program Manager, Civil Society Engagement:
Program Manager, Civil Society Engagement
U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
Embassy of the United States of America
P. O. Box 320065, Lusaka, Zambia
Tel: (+26) 0-211-357000
Timeline: Applicant organizations will receive the results of the initial review via email addresses listed in the submitted application by August 31, 2019.