Event: Please be aware of the following COVID-19 information and mitigation measures implemented by the Government of Zambia. Continue to monitor local media for current restrictions and updates.
This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- The Zambian Government has suspended issuance of all tourist visas until further notice.
- Travelers arriving without a visitor visa with plans to apply for a visitor visa upon arrival for non-essential purposes will not be permitted entry despite Zambian borders being officially open.
- Entrance to Zambia through non-tourist visas or permits is subject to approval from the Ministry of Health following a health screening at the port of entry.
- All travelers coming into Zambia will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) PCR test result. The test should have been conducted within the previous 14 days prior of arrival to Zambia. Travelers who do not meet this requirement will not be allowed into Zambia.
- The Zambian Government is enforcing a mandatory 14-day quarantine, testing, and regular monitoring at the residence or preferred place of stay for persons entering Zambia.
- Persons arriving are no longer required to quarantine at a government-designated facility, but must communicate to Ministry of Health officials where they intend to reside and provide accurate contact information for regular follow-ups.
- This includes those entering Zambia at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport (KKIA) as well as land borders.
- Symptomatic individuals will be tested for COVID-19 (SARS-Cov-2) at the airport and required to enter isolation protocol at a Zambian government facility.
- International commercial flight options currently exist in Zambia with Ethiopian Airlines, RwandAir, and Kenya Airways.
- U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements on Ethiopian Airlines, RwandAir, or Kenya Airways as soon as possible.
- The U.S. government is not arranging repatriation flights out of Zambia.
U.S. Passport Services:
- Please note that routine passport services are currently suspended.
- If you require an emergency passport for urgent travel or for local documentation requirements, please contact the embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit using one of the options shown below.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Zambia.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Lusaka
Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga District
Ibex Hill Road
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Zambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook