Event: Please note, effective immediately the embassy is temporarily ceasing routine passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) services. Because of public health measures in the United States to prevent the spread of COVID-19 the U.S Department of State began limiting its passport operations to emergency services only, limiting our ability to provide routine services overseas.
For urgent travel within 72 hours, please contact us at ACSLusaka@state.gov to schedule an appointment for an emergency passport. For routine passport or CRBA applications, please consider applying once normal operations resume. We will contact anyone with a pending passport application or scheduled appointment to discuss your individual situation.
Please note, this information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
International commercial flight options currently exist in Zambia. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Zambia at this time.
U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with Ethiopian Airlines immediately to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. Booking and local contact information can be found at the following sites:
If you are unable to book a flight through Ethiopian Airlines directly, please contact the embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit using one of the options shown below.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Zambia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Lusaka
Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga District
Ibex Hill Road
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Zambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook