Event: On March 25, the Government of Zambia announced that effective midnight, March 26 international airports in Ndola, Livingstone, and Mfuwe will suspend international flights until further notice to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Kenneth Kaunda International Airport in the capital Lusaka will remain open until further notice. President Lungu announced additional measures and restrictions during a March 25 press conference (please see the press statement).
The embassy is aware of only one remaining commercial option to depart Lusaka and return to the United States on Ethiopian Airlines. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with Ethiopian Airlines immediately to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. Booking and local contact information can be found at the following sites:
If you are unable to book a flight through Ethiopian Airlines directly, please contact the embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit using one of the options shown below.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see theCDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit theCOVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit ourEmbassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Zambia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Lusaka
Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga District
Ibex Hill Road
Phone: +(260) 211-357-000
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Zambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook