Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Lusaka Zambia (May 28, 2020)
Event: Please be aware of the following COVID-19 information and mitigation measures implemented by the Government of Zambia. Continue to monitor local media for current restrictions and updates.
This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
- Entry and Exit Requirements:
o The Government of Zambia has suspended all tourist visas until further notice.
o Travelers arriving with a visitor visa, or applying for a visitor visa on arrival for non-essential purposes will not be permitted entry despite Zambian borders being officially open.
o Entrance to Zambia through non-tourist visas or permits is subject to approval from the Ministry of Health following a health screening at the port of entry.
- Quarantine Information:
o The Government of Zambia is enforcing mandatory 14-day quarantine, testing, and daily monitoring at government-designated locations for persons entering Zambia.
o These facilities can be rudimentary and have limited amenities and services.
o This includes those entering Zambia at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport (KKIA) as well as land borders. Those who have entered Zambia via a land border and have not satisfied the 14-day quarantine requirement will typically not be permitted to continue from the border area to Lusaka to board flights leaving from KKIA.
o The costs associated with this 14-day quarantine are at your own expense.
o Symptomatic individuals will be required to enter isolation protocol at a Zambian government facility.
- Flight Information:
o International commercial flight options currently exist in Zambia with Ethiopian Airlines.
o U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements on Ethiopian Airlines as soon as possible.
o The U.S. government is not arranging repatriation flights out of Zambia.
- U.S. Passport Services:
o Please note that routine passport services are currently suspended.
o If you require an emergency passport for urgent travel, please contact the embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit using one of the options shown below.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Zambia.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga District
Ibex Hill Road
State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates