Event: The Government of Zambia has suspended all tourist visas until further notice. Travelers arriving with a visitor visa, or applying for a visitor visa on arrival for non-essential purposes will not be permitted entry despite Zambian borders being officially open. Entrance to Zambia through non-tourist visas or permits is subject to approval from the Ministry of Health following a health screening at the port of entry. We will continue to provide updates as they become available.
Please take note that the Government of Zambia is enforcing mandatory 14-day quarantine, testing, and daily monitoring at government-designated locations for persons entering Zambia from any country with confirmed COVID-19 cases. These facilities can be rudimentary and have limited amenities and services. This includes those entering Zambia at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport (KKIA) as well as land borders. Those who have entered Zambia via a land border and have not satisfied the 14-day quarantine requirement will typically not be permitted to continue from the border area to Lusaka to board flights leaving from KKIA. The costs associated with this 14-day quarantine are at your own expense. Symptomatic individuals will be required to enter isolation protocol at a Zambian government facility.
International commercial flight options currently exist in Zambia. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Zambia at this time.
U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with Ethiopian Airlines immediately to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Please note that routine passport services are currently suspended. If you require an emergency passport for urgent travel, please contact the embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit using one of the options shown below.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Zambia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Lusaka
Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga District
Ibex Hill Road
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Zambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook