July 20, 2019
Location: Parliament Road, Lusaka
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on Saturday, July 20, 2019, beginning at 11:00 a.m. The group intends to protest the Zambian government, focusing on issues of corruption, increases of public debt, and the abuse of public resources. Although most protests in Zambia are peaceful, these gatherings can attract large groups of supporters and at the minimum, may impede traffic and cause significant delays.
The demonstrations will likely result in increased police presence around the area and the closure of Parliament Road. This may affect vehicular movement on Great East Road between Manda Hill Shopping Center and the traffic circle at Arcades Shopping Center.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid those areas while the demonstrations are ongoing.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Lusaka
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Zambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.