Last updated: [08/05/22]
As of 12:01 a.m. EDT June 12, 2022, the CDC order requiring all persons aged two and above to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States, is rescinded. Starting at 12:01 a.m. EDT on June 12, 2022, the CDC will no longer order air passengers to show a negative COVID-19 test result, or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19, prior to boarding a flight to the United States. Of note, CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions. .
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ranks Zambia as Level 2 , on a 4-level system. Level 2 indicates a “Moderate Level of COVID-19 in Zambia.” The latest CDC guidance can be found here .
- The U.S. Department of State rates Zambia at Level 1: “Exercise Normal Precautions.” Complete up-to-date information can be found here .
- Please see the fact sheet on the U.S. Government’s Response to COVID-19 in Zambia.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Zambia? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within one calendar day? Yes
- Many private hospitals and government facilities perform COVID-19 tests. Three sites are provided below. It is recommended that you call the institution to confirm availability.
- CIDRZ Central Laboratory – Located off Alick Nkhata Road in Kalingalinga, Lusaka. Available for walk-in service. They offer three services: 1) For K1,950, results are provided within 24 hours and include travel certificate; 2) For K1,200, normal testing within 24hours with no travel certificate; and 3) For 135USD home testing with results delivered back to premises. The clinic is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Friday, and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Saturday. Contact +260 975 138 102 for additional information.
- Nature By Nature – Cnr Freedom Way/Kalambo Road, Lusaka. Mobile service available. K1600 walk-in, K1700 Hotel/Home. Open Mon-Fri 0800-1900, Sat-Sun 0800-1700. +260 950 477 426. www.naturebynature.co.zm
- Medland Hospital – Located at Plot 9, Mukonteka Close, Rhodes Park, Lusaka. Telephone: 3111; +260 761 101600. Tests are available by walk in and cost K1,000.00 (U.S. dollars not accepted). Results are provided within 14-24 hours on average for travelers who requires travel certificate validation, a QR code on your PCR results valid internationally, for testing only results will appear within 8 hours. Working hours: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday to Sunday. (Officially a certified trusted travel lab for COVID-19 PCR tests). Working hours: 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Monday to Saturday.
- Victoria Hospital – Located at 5498 Lunsemfwa Road, Kalundu, Lusaka. Telephone: +260 962 727 2904. Monday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. 24-hour results/Travel certificate: K2,500; 24-hour result ONLY/no certificate: K1,600.
- Negative COVID Tests are not required to depart Zambia. However, if the ultimate destination or transit point requires a negative test the negative test will be reviewed by Zambian officials upon departure. As always, confirm the latest requirements for COVID Testing with your air carrier before travel.
- If a test for departure is required, it must be completed in Zambia.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Zambia approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- Are vaccines available in Zambia for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Which vaccines are available in Zambia? Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, and SinoPharm, are currently available.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- Information from the CDC regarding the COVID-19 vaccination.
- The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- For additional information on COVID-19 related guidelines and measures at Zambian airports, please go here .
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Fully vaccinated travelers do not require any form of negative COVID test results but are required to provide proof of full vaccination status. Fully vaccinated means complete doses of a vaccine-for example, first and second doses of a two dose COVID-19 vaccine.
- Not fully vaccinated international travelers MUST show proof of a COVD-19 PCR test for a sample collected within 72 hours of departure from the country of origin.
- Children below the age of 12 years old are exempt from these measures.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes.
- Zambia has implemented limited screening upon arrival at the international airport in Lusaka. The screening entails completing COVID-19 risk assessment form and may include using no-touch thermometers (“thermo-scanners”) to check body temperature. Symptomatic individuals will be required to self-isolate for 14 days and may be asked to submit samples for additional COVID-19 testing.
For information regarding visa extensions for residents and/or tourists, please go here.
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No. There is no mandatory quarantine for nationals of any specific country, or those with physical presence in any predetermined region or country.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Masks are required to be worn in public and on public transportation, although this rule does not appear to be enforced.
Fines for Non-Compliance
- There are fines for non-compliance, but fines are not being enforced at this time.
- The American Citizen Services Section is available for all services. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have an emergency.
- The Visa Section is open for all services: Please contact email@example.com if you have a visa emergency.